Sunday, July 24, 2022

Be a friend

 1995 - I was in the first year of engineering college, I went to Appā Baḷwanta Chowk, the place where numerous bookstores are there. I parked my scooter by the side of the road and started walking - looking at the shops - when suddenly a kind but strong voice called out -

Bol mitrā, tulā kaay pāhije, kaay shikāychay - mi deto.
(Bolo mitra, tumhe kyā chāhiye - kyā sīkhnā hai, mai detā hoon.
Hey friend, tell me what you want - what do you want to learn - I will give you.)

I turned around to see - and there was this man with a wide smile standing outside a small 5 feet by 5 feet chai ṭaprī sized shop filled with books. Pradeep Book Depot.

Since my schooling was in the part of Pune where friends typically spoke in Hindi or English - this was the first time someone had called out to me in Marathi using the word "Are mitrā". That too - an unknown person. At that moment - I paused - it felt as if someone is caring deeply for me. That feeling I still have, preserved, with me.

And then, I also decided to start using the word mitra when talking with people - with the same bhāva ... 

Hello friend - tell me what you want - I will give you.

No comments: